Saturday, February 21, 2009

Something Good to Remember

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

This verse was on the craft that the girls brought home from church last Wednesday. We really liked it, and Tony thought I should share it with the other couple of people that happen to read my blog. I read some of the verses leading up to it for some background.

Moses had just died and Joshua was taking over leading the children of Israel into the promised land. They were getting ready to cross the Jordan River (a rough, frightening, thing) into the "Land that I am about to give to them." vs.2 This land was unknown, and again a little frightening. They had no idea what to expect-

But God says this: "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave to you; do not turn from it to the right or the left, that you might be successful wherever you go. Do not let this book of the law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Joshua 1:7-8

Three times in 4 verses God commanded them to be strong and courageous, once even saying VERY courageous. He says that if we are careful to obey Him and His word, He will take care of us wherever he takes us, and with whatever He has us doing. (That's my translation :o) )

Now I think that's worth remembering!

1 comment:

Lavonda Pflug said...

More than once in my life I've clung tightly to that scripture. It blesses me to know you are clinging to scripture too.
You may not believe this, but I really do remember what it was like to be in the spring and summer seasons of life, like you and Tony and Joshua. And I remember being afaid yet thrilled as I looked across my Jordan into my promised land.
But now that it is fall and winter is quickly coming, I approach the river with much more caution. I'm sure as Joshua stepped up to the bank of the river his mother was in crowd shouting, "Be careful son!" (She knew that the babies of Israel couldn't swim.)