Yesterday Tony went to sign the papers to apply to trade bases. We were told it would probably take a few days to find out if it was approved or not. They were behind in the office and it would probably take longer than usual for us to hear from them. So we were very surprised last night, when Tony checked his account with the Air Force online and saw that our next base would be Hickam AFB! We were not really expecting the trade to be approved, much less in half a day! (Now why can't the Air Force always do things this quickly?!)
We did not go looking to trade bases. The guy Tony traded with came to him wanting California. We thought and prayed about it and decided to go ahead and apply for the trade, even though our chances were slim of it being approved. We didn't want to pass up an opportunity like this, just in case. We were happy with the possibility of either place. We just want to be where God wants us to be. So we left it in God's hands, not that we can ever really take control anyway! We were at peace with wherever He put us.
There are pros and cons to being there, of course. The biggest cons would definitely be that we would be farther away from from my family, and a lot of his family. We plan to take advantage of all the Space-A travel that we can though, and come back to visit as often as possible. I don't know that being in Hawaii would cause us to visit less often than we would if we were in California. It would possibly prevent them from being able to visit us as easily. However it doesn't cost as much more to fly there as opposed to California as I thought it would. It will all work out, as we are confident that God has a plan for us being there!
On the pro side, it will probably be easier to see Tony's parents than it would be if we were in California. The experience and opportunity that it would be for our family and especially for the girls is another pro to us.
I know that my family is not excited about this for us. That's ok, I understand. Even though it makes me so sad to make them upset. We have always seen my family pretty often, so this will be an adjustment. I'm praying that God will give them peace and excitement for us.
We have lots to do in the next 2 months to get ready for our adventure. I'm very excited to follow God in this next step. Our first order of business once we get there-swimming lessons for me and the girls!